University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A., Political Science, 1960
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Kentucky
United States Supreme Court
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 1989
Special Assistant Attorney General
Arizona Court of Appeals, Judge Pro Tem
Superior Court of Arizona, Judge Pro Tem
William R. Jones, Jr.
After graduating from the University of Michigan, Mr. Jones
started his legal career in 1962 with Jennings Strouss Salmon & Trask. He began trying lawsuits during the first
year after his admission to the Arizona bar under the tutelage of some of the
finest trial lawyers in the United States.
By his 10th year of practice, he had tried over 50 civil jury cases
representing clients such as the State of Arizona, Maricopa County, the City of
Phoenix, all three major State universities, several other counties in Arizona
and he had a flourishing automobile and general liability practice.
From 1968 to 1969, Mr. Jones assisted Ozell Trask in
lobbying through, and participation in, the writing of a total revision of the
Workers' Compensation Laws for the State of Arizona. He was the first Chairman of the Workers'
Compensation Committee of the State Bar of Arizona. He participated in the writing of the
Workers' Compensation Rules of Practice.
In 1974, Mr. Jones became a senior partner in the law firm
of Jones, Teilborg, Sanders, Haga & Parks.
That firm grew from 6 to 26 lawyers from 1974 to 1983. In 1983, Mr. Jones and others formed Jones
Skelton & Hochuli. Over the years,
Mr. Jones has tried in excess of 250 civil jury cases in Arizona and other
Mr. Jones has tried a large variety of different types of
civil cases. He and now Judge Teilborg
represented a plaintiff who achieved the largest single personal injury verdict
in the State of Arizona as of that time.
While he currently concentrates his practice in the medical malpractice
area, Mr. Jones is still involved in litigating and trying other types of civil
liability cases on an active and ongoing basis.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Board of Trial Advocates (Diplomate)
American College of Trial Lawyers (State President, 1991 to 1993)
Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (Member)
Arizona Chamber of Commerce (Insurance & Health Committee, Past Chair)
Defense Research Institute (Member)
International Association of Insurance Counsel (Member)
International Society of Barristers (Member)
- Arizona Malpractice legislation, Author
- Arizona Products Liability legislation, Author
- Arizona Worker's Compensation legislation, Author
- Periodic Payment Statute, Contributing Author
- Arizona version of UCATA, Contributing Author
American Board of Trial Advocates Seminars, Frequent Speaker
National Institute of Trial Advocacy, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado; Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona; University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona; University of California - Berkeley
Arizona State University; Harvard University; University of Arizona College of Law, Guest Lecturer
Arizona State University; Arizona College of Trial Advocacy, Adjunct Professor
Professional Recognitions & Awards
- Voted 2014 Lawyer of the Year for Phoenix Medical Malpractice Defense by Best Lawyers
- Inducted into the Maricopa County Hall of Fame, 2012
Recipient of Kenneth P. Clancy Professionalism Award from the American Board of Trial Advocates, May 2011
Recipient of the Walter E. Craig Distinguished Service Award from the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, June 2009
Recipient of Samuel E. Gates Litigation Award from the American College of Trial Lawyers, March 2003
Recipient of Distinguished Service Medal from the Maricopa County Medical Society, January 1996
Honoree of the 20th Annual Honor Ball of Scottsdale Memorial Health Foundation, March 1996
Director and Former Chairman of the Board of Scottsdale Memorial Health Systems, Inc.
Designated as Member of the Year - Arizona State Bar, 1991
Listed, Best Lawyers in America®, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 1983 - 2017
Top 50 Arizona Lawyers, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007 - Present
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation, Arizona Board of Legal Specialization
Presentations & Publications
“How to Handle the Witness Who Changes His/Her Testimony at Deposition or Trial,” Co-Presenter, 2015 American College of Trial Lawyers CLE Event, May 2015
Arizona Prospector, Independent Insurance Agents of Arizona
Author of articles for Arizona Attorney:
- "Do We Have A Plain, Speedy And Adequate Remedy,"
- "The Newly-Enacted Rules of Discovery and Arbitration:
Arizona's Great Experiment"
- "Voir Dire - Arizona Style"
- "A Trial Lawyer's Wish List," May 1991
- "The Great Experiment - Arizona's Newly Enacted Rules
of Discovery and Arbitration," May 1992
- "Read My Lips -- The Defendants Should Pay Only for the
Damage They Cause," June 1995
- Managed Care and the Tort System: Are We Paying Billions in Phantom Healthcare Charges?" (© 1995) - Article has appeared in the International Association of Defense Counsel's publication, Defense Counsel Journal, in the Public Risk Management Association's, Public Risk, and in the State Bar of Arizona's Arizona Attorney.